8.20.2009

What if she were 23 and finishing law school?

Let's assume contraception sometimes is okay and sometimes is not. Where might that lead?


I mentioned my growing horror at abortion as one of the important elements in my own conversion to Catholicism. When we broke into informal conversation over lunch, one of the women drew me aside because she wanted me to know that notwithstanding her respect for the Magisterium, if she had a thirteen-year-old daughter who was impregnated during a rape, she would whisk her off to an abortionist before you could say "boo." Startled, I responded, "And what if she were twenty-three and finishing law school?" She looked startled and suddenly abashed.

Elizabeth Fox-Genovese, Marriage: The Dream That Refuses to Die (Wilmington, DE: ISI Books, 2008), 151-52.

No comments: